Re: Preparing to launch W3C site survey - 15 May

On May 15, 2013, at 8:46 AM, Operations at IA Institute <operations@iainstitute.org> wrote:

> My apologies for missing the meeting yesterday. I will have a break from
> Tuesday afternoon classes now and at least until June 25, but will be
> unavailable again through mid-August. I am happy to work on tasks offline
> when needed.
>
> I went through the survey yesterday and it worked fine. I agree with Ian's
> comments. I noted a couple issues in the comments section on my survey
> answers. Main thing is the label "All Standards and Drafts" for /TR/
> "Technical Reports." The term "Technical Reports" appears to be legacy,
> while the label "Standards and Drafts" seems to be descriptive of what
> people are looking for. There were a few questions that asked about
> Technical reports, but I didn't see that phrase as a label anywhere on the
> site, particularly on the main /TR/ page.
>
> I expect there has been some research to support the newer label but wasn't
> sure if the directory name would change to conform to the label? I find that
> my mindset shifts when I think of Technical Reports vs Standards and Drafts,
> even though I understand that they are the same thing, but can't explain it
> that well. Maybe its an audience POV thing.

Great feedback. I can make a clarifying change.

I want to also note that after some additional review I have removed two questions
for rating the importance of features. I think this will usefully shorten the survey,
and my colleague who made the suggestion made a good case that rating those
features would not be straightforward.

More comments welcome; I plan to announce later today.

Ian

> [...]
>>
>> 1) Added an intro page with a privacy policy (and set up the survey for that
>> policy)
>> 2) Configured the survey to end around midnight ET on 29 May
>>
>> If anyone wants to do a last pass to see if the survey still works, that would
>> be appreciated. :)
>>
>> We are ready to open the survey on 15 May. Please find below draft text for
>> various announcements.
>>
>> Ian
>>
>> ====================================
>> Home page news
>>
>> Subject: How Can W3C Improve Its Web Site? Let Us Know!
>>
>> Body:
>> Redesign Task Force</a>  invites the community to take a short <a
>> href="https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/w3c_redesign">site redesign survey</a>.
>> As discussed in the A List Apart Column "<a
>> href="http://alistapart.com/column/w3c-is-getting-some-work-done">W3C is
>> Getting Some Work Done</a>" W3C is developing a plan to refresh its Web
>> presence for a variety of audiences. We appreciate your input on what you
>> value from the site and what you would like to see us do better. We will be
>> collecting survey responses until 11:59pm
>> Boston time on 29 May 2013.</p>
>>
>> ====================================
>> Tweet
>>
>> Help W3C improve its Web site; short survey open through 29 May
>> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/w3c_redesign
>>
>> ====================================
>> Message to W3C Members, Chairs, and Team,
>>
>> Subject: W3C site redesign survey - Open Through 29 May
>>
>> Body:
>> Dear Advisory Committee Representatives, Chairs, and Team,
>>
>> The Site Redesign Task Force [1], part of Headlights 2013 [2], invites you to
>> take a short survey to help us improve the W3C home page, public site more
>> broadly,
>> Member site, Working Group and other group home pages, and technical reports:
>>  https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/w3c_redesign
>>
>> The survey is open through 11:59pm Boston time on 29 May. We encourage you to
>> disseminate the link to the survey within your organizations and groups.
>>
>> We plan to discuss the findings from this survey at the Advisory Committee
>> Meeting
>> in Tokyo.
>>
>> Thank you for taking the time to share your ideas on how we can improve our
>> site for all.
>>
>> Ian Jacobs, Head of W3C Communications
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/SiteRedesign
>> [2] http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/

>> A List Apart comment
>>
>> Update! W3C has launched a <a
>> href="https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/w3c_redesign">site redesign survey</a>
>> and invites the community to share thoughts on how we can improve the site.
>> The survey is open through 11:59pm ET on 29 May 2013.
>>
>> --
>> Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>      http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>> Tel:                                          +1 718 260 9447

Tel:                                          +1 718 260 9447