Re: ParisWeb2013 presentation: Designing with Sensors: Creating Adaptive Experiences, by Avi Itzkovitch [via Web of Sensors Community Group]

After reading this post, I think I have something that may be of general
interest to the group.

Just a couple of weeks ago, UPnP Forum gave final approval status to the
SensorManagement device control protocol (DCP). This is a general purpose
specification that works within the Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP)
architecture and allows a large class of devices to be modeled by a
collection of sensors and actuators. For example, one sample application
models a refrigerator by freezer temperature, grocery temperature,
vegetable temperature, door-open alarm, etc. A device model can be simply
built with XML syntax in a matter of minutes. But the news is even better.
This is available right now for free to anyone interested in building
applications that use UPnP. UPnP has been around for a dozen years and is
currently deployed in over a billion devices. There are numerous stacks,
tools and development kits (many of them free) and they are available on
most every operating system.

Full disclosure: I am the chair of the UPnP technical committee. However,
since this is a system that any of you can use for free to develop your
sensor-based solutions, I don't feel guilty about promoting it. You can
learn about UPnP technology at upnp.org. It is an open standards
development organization. You download the specifications for free. Basic
membership is also free.

If the group is interested in a more structured presentation of the
SensorManagement DCP, I could arrange a web-based presentation.

Thanks,
-Clarke