RE: SWUI workshop accepted at ISWC 2006

Sören,

Interesting discussion you've started. I believe that the first of the three
points you mention (the "art") in that last note is where the heart of the
user interaction challenge really resides.

The burden of the physical actions relating to a task are often outweighed
by the cognitive and emotional elements in a user's task. The number of
clicks on any given page may raise user frustration or decrease motivation,
but only if they impede reaching a goal successfully. Adding a click that
reduces error or allows complex actions to be broken down into clearly
represented steps can actually be seen as beneficial or reducing their
overall time on task. So how can we understand goal achievement and user
motivation in the context of interacting with a "semantic" web? Are the
methods of analysis/design different from understanding the user in any
other context? If so, what makes it different?

On the point about widgets, is it useful to us as designers to think about
how they serve as aggregators of actions and rules to allow a user to
execute that set of actions and rules in a convenient way? For example, if I
drag-and-drop an item in a list into a new location, am I actually executing
a set of actions relating to sequence/prioritization of data items, in the
context of a set of rules about where those data items are allowed to live
in relation to each other? Is the power of the widget coming, in part, from
the user's understanding of the expected actions and the control that he/she
has over those actions using a simple representation/metaphor? So I wonder,
in the world of the semantic web, how widgets might interact with the
implicit/inferred rules embodied in the data relationships (and able to be
changed in the data, rather than the code) - how do we make sure that our
widgets reflect the world view (affordances, perhaps?) of the data, the
designer, and the user?

As you said... probably more an art!

Duane Degler