RE: seedling topic list for SWUI06

Lloyd, yet another interesting question:

"A naive question: how do you find unanticipated needs?
In larger interaction paradigm shifts, people don't know they need something
until they've been forced to become used to using it.  If SW does make new
types of previously unimagined interaction possible, what methodologies
apply to make sure they're useful before people get used to using them?"

Many layers to this... But I'll try to be brief! ;-)

Many needs are actually not unanticipated, just silently coped with...
Contextual inquiry and other observational methods are really valuable in
surfacing unconscious work-arounds to current barriers. Also, personal
experience plays a large part - many software giants came out of someone
frustrated by something that was hard, thinking about making it easier, and
they hack up a solution - resulting in a novel application.

There are also a number of products that monitor user interactions over
time, recording the data and producing pattern analysis of successful and
unsuccessful interactions. These are being adopted particularly by the
performance support and eLearning communities for providing "just in time"
support - could they be tuned to look for semantic footprints rather than
just transactional/data ones?

As you know, I am interested in your last point, to identify if some of the
traditional usability testing methods need to change in light of a more
semantic web. Even the simple technique of a developer showing something to
friends reveals feedback, and formal usability testing often produces
valuable insights. Interaction with vocabulary and controlled vocabulary has
been studied, but needs more attention, I expect. User testing and
longitudinal data from pilots help identify what is useful, but how we
establish the protocols and interpret the results may need to be revisited
as semantic applications become more personalized, adaptive, and possibly
agent-driven.

Duane