Re: Summary of HL7 RDF / W3C COI call: FHIR Ontology Requirements

I believe Lloyd is onto something critical.
I view this approach as the critical bridge between traditional highly
specified ontologies and schemas to more open metadata-based self-defining
schemas in the world of big data.  I believe further that Darwinian forces
will select those highly specified ontologies and schemas that
'anticipate' the need for bi-directional bridges between them and
less-specified schemas in emerging landing zones (aka data lakes).  I
suspect that the critical aspect of these 'bridges by design' will be to
ensure that the top tear of the highly specified world is generalized
enough and validated enough to be relatively uncontroversial and
unconstrained so that 'mapping' or 'harmonizing' with a landing zone is as
close to effortless as possible.  The extent to which the specified use
cases that drive the highly specified ontologies and schemas are revealed
only in the deeper layers of any ontology will represent the Darwinian
fitness of that ontology or schema to survive over time.
john

John Mattison, MD
Assistant Medical Director
Chief Medical Information Officer
Kaiser Permanente, SCAL
cell 818-321-6004

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or
disclosing its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently
delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or
saving them.  Thank you.