Re: License unknown

From: Jerven Bolleman <me@jerven.eu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 17:27:50 +0200
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Cc: Joachim Baran <joachim.baran@gmail.com>, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com>, "M. Scott Marshall" <mscottmarshall@gmail.com>, "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>, "Gray, Alasdair J G" <A.J.G.Gray@hw.ac.uk>, HCLS IG <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Again, I think we should encourage more specificity than the boolean
property flag.

One academic makes the following statements

_:sillyAcademicsDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  prov:wasDerivedFrom realworld:commercialDataset .
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  :tried-to-determine-license true .

Second Academic makes these statements
_:lazyAcademicsDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  prov:wasDerivedFrom realworld:commercialDataset .
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  :tried-to-determine-license true .

Combine this knowledge
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  :tried-to-determine-license true ;
                  :tried-to-determine-license false .

Not very helpful.

Take the rdfs:comment approach
_:sillyAcademicsDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  prov:wasDerivedFrom realworld:commercialDataset .
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  dct:license [rdfs:comment "I tried to look at XXX,
and believe its fair use because of YYYY" ]

_:lazyAcademicsDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  prov:wasDerivedFrom realworld:commercialDataset .
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  dct:license [rdfs:comment "Lazy academic did not
care to look for the license"]

Combine this knowlege
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  dct:license [rdfs:comment "I tried to look at XXX,
and believe its fair use because of YYYY" ],
                                   [rdfs:comment "Lazy academic did
not care to look for the license"] .

Its still use full.

Then try this
_:sillyAcademicsDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  prov:wasDerivedFrom realworld:commercialDataset .
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  dct:license [a :UseAtOwnLegalRisk .
                                    rdfs:comment "I tried to look at
XXX, and believe its fair use because of YYYY" ]

Even more rich information an end user can actually use.
One has to think about more than one re-publisher of a dataset, as
that does happen in our field (see drugbank as a real life example).

Regards,
Jerven

--
Jerven Bolleman