Re: George Thomas Memorial Fellowship announced by USA CTO Todd Park!

Hi,
If you're interested in the details on the announcement, here is the PR.[1]  It is called the George Thomas Post-Graduate Fellowship in Health Data Science and Engineering and starts in 2014, funded to the tune of $80k/year by the Health Data Consortium. Suzanne Dunlap, George's wife, was present at the Health Datapalooza in Washington DC this week to meet with Todd Park, US Federal CTO personally and receive this recognition on behalf of George.

Perhaps you or someone you know doing post-graduate work on health data science and open data should apply for this funding -- the press release suggests it open this summer for applicants.

"The award will address the national interests for attracting new talent to the challenges of data management in health and health care. The interests of the Health Data Consortium intersects with the prominence of innovation Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) educational interests of many parts of our community." [2]

I'm grateful to the Ian Jacobs @ W3C and John Breslin for distributing news & a tribute to George's work in open health data.   While we've lost an open data champion with the US Government, George spawned many more advocates before he left us.

Peace ~

Bernadette Hyland

[1] http://healthdatapalooza.org/health-data-consortium-announces-memorial-health-data-sciences-fellowship/

[2] http://www.healthdataconsortium.org/programs-thomas-fellow