Re: Minutes of last week's (Dec 2) HL7 ITS RDF Subgroup / W3C HCLS COI call -- Review of FHIR ontology approaches (cont.)

Question - are we talking about a structual ontology (analogous to various
structural codesystems/tables like ActStatus or Acknowledgment in v2/v3),
or a domain ontology such as Administrative Sex or one derived from
domain-specific codesystems such as RxNorm/LOINC/SNOMED CT?

If it's a structural terminology, it's easy to see how it can be
automatically derived from FHIR artifacts. If it's a domain terminology,
it would be rather uncontrolled if it's derived from any inline
definitions in FHIR artifacts. Note that I refrain from the word ontology
here, because I use "ontology" to mean one with formal computable
definitions (like FMA or SNOMED CT) and amenable to description logics,
not one with just a collection of terms/concepts.

If it's a formal ontology, OWL would be useful. If it's a (controlled)
terminology, we can use SKOS. RDF/RDFS are more generic than SKOS and OWL,
and so would be applicable in both cases.
Thanks,

Senthil.

PS. cross posting to vocab list for comments.

Senthil K. Nachimuthu, MD, PhD | Medical Informaticist
3M Health Information Systems, Inc.
575 W Murray Blvd, Murray, UT 84123, USA
Office: +1 801 265 4636
snachimuthu@mmm.com | www.3mtcs.com