Re: biontology.org Linked Data URIs?

On May 28, 2013, at 6:23 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 5/28/13 5:04 PM, Richard Boyce wrote:
>> I think this helps bioportal keep track of usage (to justify its existence) and reduce annoying bots. Also, I get updates from bioportal for having registered an account. -R
>
> Bots are annoying, but they are part of the ecosystem.
> API keys are archaic and quite contradictory an RDF based Linked Data realm.

Yup. There are more clever ways of accomplishing the desired goals outside inconveniencing every user with an api key. Seems to me the goals also have to do with tracking the usage of the URIs and the users of the resource.

I have tried to advise the Bioportal team about the basic of linked data norms and etiquette in the past, but they seem to be slow to progress along the learning curve. Kingsley, may I suggest that you give specific advise on where changes would be desirable. I would start by paying particular attention to cases where bioportal URIs duplicate authoritative URIs given by the authors of the resources they aggregate. For example, Chris points out that OBO Foundry URIs are intended to be linked data friendly, and certainly Bioportal should not be rewriting these. But I'm sure you can give plenty of other advise that might help them learn the finer points.

I remain, as always, at their disposal.

Regards,
Alan