From: M. Scott Marshall [mailto:mscottmarshall@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2013 3:12 PM
To: HCLS
Cc: Andre Dekker; Trish Whetzel
Subject: Data Sharing - a video

Data sharing is easier said than done, as demonstrated in the (funny but a little sad!!) video below. It's a true story - I'm sure. You will laugh and you will cry.

Data represents a significant investment but you would never know it from the way that data is typically (mis)handled. Data is usually stored in such a way that the precise meaning of certain data is lost.
A retrospective process of  'semantic elucidation' is often too expensive and sometimes impossible, and this is what leads to what I sometimes cynically call an endless supply of 'disposable data'. I would argue that the 'added value' of a Semantic Web approach to data is the prevention of almost certain loss.

"Semantically disambiguate early and often." - M. Scott Marshall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N2zK3sAtr-4

[Orig. shared by +Andre Dekker . I see that I apparently missed it when +Trish Whetzel shared this gem.]

My first post:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/114642613065018821852/posts/P6AkPDa3tfo

--
M. Scott Marshall, PhD
MAASTRO clinic, http://www.maastro.nl/en/1/ http://eurecaproject.eu/ https://plus.google.com/u/0/114642613065018821852/posts

The contents of this message may contain private, protected and/or privileged information.  If you received this message in error, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained within.  Please contact the sender and advise of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail or telephone.  Thank you for your cooperation.