Re: owl:sameAs - Is it used in a right way?

This is a useful solution, but doesn't address issues that arise when Gu or
Gj contain owl:sameAs triples, but the authors of those graphs didn't
actually mean the full OWL semantics by it. In the provenance WG, we have
come up with two relations that are sameAs-like, but no not have the full
owl:sameAs semantics:

prov:specializationOf
IRI:http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#specializationOf

An entity that is a specialization of another shares all aspects of the
latter, and additionally presents more specific aspects of the same thing
as the latter. In particular, the lifetime of the entity being specialized
contains that of any specialization. Examples of aspects include a time
period, an abstraction, and a context associated with the entity.

prov:alternateOf
IRI:http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#alternateOf

Two alternate entities present aspects of the same thing. These aspects may
be the same or different, and the alternate entities may or may not overlap
in time.

I think that these are more appropriate for Linked Data applications, since
they are "looser" semantically, than owl:sameAs.

Jim

--
Jim McCusker
Programmer Analyst