RE: Opening Walled Gardens: RDF / Linked Data as the Universal Exchange Language of Healthcare

From: Mead, Charlie (NIH/NCI) [C] <meadch@mail.nih.gov>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 06:08:05 +0000
To: Renato Iannella <ri@semanticidentity.com>, Tom Morris <tfmorris@gmail.com>, public-semweb-lifesci <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
CC: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>, RebholzSchuhmann <d.rebholz.schuhmann@gmail.com>, Joanne Luciano <jluciano@gmail.com>, "Michel Dumontier" <michel.dumontier@gmail.com>, Conor Dowling <conor-dowling@caregraf.com>, Rafael Richards <rmrich5@gmail.com>
HL7 has just completed its first version of the entire MIF -- RIM + data types + vocabulary -- in OWL and is beginning to move to the use of SW as both a core design and run-time (RDF) artifact, the first instance of which will be manifest in the FHIR initiative.  Other activities on the radar are representation of all existing RIM-derived artifacts -- e.g. RMIMs and CDA templates -- in OWL.  There is definitely movement.

charlie