Re: HCLS - visualization task force?

From: Jan Aerts <jan.aerts@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:03:00 +0100
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Hey Mark,

I totally agree: showing RDF data in its full granularity will not work. I
had a chat with Katayama yesterday (is on holiday in Belgium), and he
mentioned something about your approach. It makes a lot of sense, and will
probably be the best way to bring this issue forward at this moment.

In my lab, however, we have to look at dataviz from a more general
viewpoint as well. Although we are working on visualization of specific
types of data within a certain expert domain (i.c. genomics), many of our
projects need to be more on changing the state-of-the-art of data
visualization itself. For example: how do you visualize dynamic networks
(could be gene networks, could be social networks, ...). So what if we're
looking at RDF data that is not in a domain that already has a set of
standard visualizations available?

Within HCLS, I'd like to look at a hybrid between the two: we do have some
standard visualizations for certain types of data (e.g. gbrowse-like-thing,
heatmaps, ...) and should definitely work that out. But in addition, I'd
like to look at it from a more general perspective as well. I think these
two could be completely complementary to each other.

jan.

Dr Jan Aerts
Assistant Professor
Faculty of Engineering - ESAT/SCD