Relations in RDF

From: James Malone <malone@ebi.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 16:42:21 +0100
To: HCLS <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
CC: "M. Scott Marshall" <mscottmarshall@gmail.com>
Hi Scott, All,

I was wondering what the general take is on predicates in RDF
representations used by the HCLS group. I've been looking at our RDF
model for Gene Expression Atlas at EBI and presently I'm using the same
"is_about" relation for a lot of the predicates as this is the lowest
level of constraint from the OBO Foundry folks for some of these
information relations. Alan Ruttenberg tells me that empirical evidence
suggests that using a larger number of relationships correlates to
poorer ontologies. However, I've also been told from various RDF
advocates that having more granular level predicates is useful for
querying. Are there any thoughts from the group on this? I have no
preconceptions here (I have no reason to disbelieve Alan or the RDF
folks) so open to thoughts and suggestions.

Cheers,

James

--
European Bioinformatics Institute,