Re: My task from last week: Semantic free identifiers

     Hello,

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Helena Deus <helenadeus@gmail.com> wrote:
>> thing"... By "right thing" I mean that I'm sure Hungarian semantic-webbers
>> would have quite something to say about a decision to make the URI "partOf"
>> rather than "A_0001" + multi-lingual labels.  It's a bit selfish of us
>> English-speakers to create global infrastructures just for ourselves... na?
>>

> ++1!!
> And the HCLS domains are filled with examples where label-URI would not
> work: for example, hypothetical proteins
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_protein), would not be named are
> not named and yet we know they exist.
> Should we give these hypothetical proteins a numeric URI but all other
> proteins a name? How about when they are "graduated" into real proteins?
> Should everyone just stop using the hypothetical-protein-URI and change into
> the newly named protein-name-URI?
> I think that would be a recipe for disaster :-)

  I understand for proteins. But I'm not sure a relationship that can
not even readily be given a name should be part of the relationship
ontology.

  Suppose that the dominant language was not English, but some other
language that non of us know and "part of" in that language is "tab
tom ba". In that case, I would still find "tab tom ba" easier to
remember than some random number. And I can always write:

prefix part_of: <http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/tab_tom_ba>

  So the advantage of using numbers is not clear to me.

     Take care
     Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
Systems Biology Linker at Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org/sybil)