My task from last week: Semantic free identifiers

From: James Malone <malone@ebi.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:47:05 +0100
To: HCLS <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Hi,

On last week's call I was tasked with contacting Chris and Alan
regarding the form of the Relations Ontology URIs. There was some
concern that the current text fragment (e.g. part_of) would be replaced
with a semantic free identifier (e.g. RO_0000001). They confirmed this
is the case. The discussion stemmed from concern that our Atlas Triples
use predicates which are also in this form and there was a concern that
it makes querying harder. Alan Ruttenberg had the following useful
suggestion (I would also be keen to know if this resolves the concerns
on the call or if I missed something more fundamental)

for sparql they can write:

prefix part_of:<http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/RO_0000000>

then query:

?a part_of: ?b

SPARQL processors should allow something like:

@include_prefixes<http://foo.org/ro_prefixes.txt>

Cheers,

James

--