Re: moving forward: TM activities

Michel,

On 1/7/11 4:04 PM, "Michel_Dumontier" <Michel_Dumontier@carleton.ca> wrote:

> Hi Melanie,
>   Right now we're looking at three subgroups of relevance for translational
> medicine:
>
> 1 - sPCHR (semantic Personally Controlled Health Care Records) -> to capture
> patient data using Semantic Web technologies, thereby making use of existing
> Linked Open Data (drug, clinical, etc) and becoming a valuable source of
> structured information for epidemiological research, clinical research and
> drug discovery. We're keen on forming closer bonds with primary stakeholders
> (developers of EHR standards and software; hospitals and clinics) and the COI
> group to get this done.

I would consider patients (everyday people receiving care) and PCHR
developers / vendors as more relevant stakeholders than healthcare provider
institutions and developers of EHR standards.  The nature of PCHRs make them
a disruptive force and very removed from the healthcare provider ecosystem.

>   These seem like interesting directions to head out in - but we're open to
> different ideas, and certainly to new participants :)  What do you think?

Personally, I like the idea of a subgroup focused on PCHR systems.  I think
there might be more opportunity for Web 3.0 / 2.0 technologies to make an
impact in that realm than in the traditional EHR ecosystem precisely because
the stakeholders are already consumers of these emerging technologies (so
non-technical issues such as risk aversion and vendor politics are not so
much of a factor).

Just my $0.02

-- Chime

in America by U.S.News & World Report (2010).
locations.