semantic web for EHRs

From: conor dowling <conor-dowling@caregraf.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:38:53 -0800
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Is anyone on the group involved or know about adding a Semantic Endpoint to
an EHR system? I'm working on a SPARQL "profile" called FMQL (see:
http://www.caregraf.org/semanticvista#fmql ) for VA's VistA, the most widely
deployed EMR in the U.S. (and open-sourced to boot). You can see/code-to the
current "linked data" support for VistA at http://vista.caregraf.org .

Luckily VistA's built around graphs - if you look at a patient like the
unfortunate Christopher Jones ( http://vista.caregraf.org/rambler/2/9 ), you
see that his "record" is a patient node referenced by nodes for vitals,
orders, medications ... The VA has over ten million patients in graphs like
this.

Unluckily, their graph store - called FileMan - has no remote query
language. Which is where SPARQL, OWL et al come into play.

Is such EHR system "exposure" common outside the U.S.? (There's little here
from what I can see - the interoperability push is around SOAP). Any work in
Britain, Germany etc.? Or Finland (where they use a similar system to
VistA)?

Thx,
Conor