Re: Dr. Bunsen's URI and knowledge sharing

Hi Scott,
Well said!!
Regardless of how we chose to identify ourselves, either using a Wikipeople
profile, a purl, or a university url to identify both ourselves and our
credibility bound to the institution where we work, I agree it will
be extremely important to chose the authentication authority wisely.
The current web 2.0 approach seems to be forcing the users to create a
new account everywhere where they want have access to tools or data. But we
can already see some web applications, such as sourceforge or google, that
delegate the authentication to other authorities - a protocol that describes
how such interaction between applications could occur has indeed been
proposed, called OAuth (http://oauth.net/).
Web applications using OAuth, instead of asking the user to create a new
account by inputting a password, redirects the user to a trusted website,
for example google or paypal, and that is where the authentication happens.
Once the user is authenticated, google or paypal send the user back to the
web application where authentication was required, along  with some token
that can be verified with google, which indicates that the user has or has
not been authenticated.

Lena