Re: Dr. Bunsen's URI and knowledge sharing

Helena Deus wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Well said!!
> Regardless of how we chose to identify ourselves, either using a
> Wikipeople profile, a purl, or a university url to identify both
> ourselves and our credibility bound to the institution where we work,
> I agree it will be extremely important to chose the
> authentication authority wisely.
> The current web 2.0 approach seems to be forcing the users to create a
> new account everywhere where they want have access to tools or data.
> But we can already see some web applications, such as sourceforge or
> google, that delegate the authentication to other authorities - a
> protocol that describes how such interaction between applications
> could occur has indeed been proposed, called OAuth (http://oauth.net/).
> Web applications using OAuth, instead of asking the user to create a
> new account by inputting a password, redirects the user to a trusted
> website, for example google or paypal, and that is where the
> authentication happens. Once the user is authenticated, google or
> paypal send the user back to the web application
> where authentication was required, along  with some token that can be
> verified with google, which indicates that the user has or has not
> been authenticated.
>
> Lena

All,

Please take a look at FOAF+SSL [1]. This is how you go about controlling
your Identity in a truly Web friendly manner i.e., federated identity as
opposed to centralized identity management.

Links:

1. http://esw.w3.org/topic/foaf+ssl
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRbdeNMPCug - setting up an X.509
cert. that includes a Personal URI (i.e. HTTP based Identifier for an
Entity of Type: Person)

Kingsley

--

Regards,