Re: Cross Language with topic maps [was Re: 答复: KB note]

Xiaoshu Wang wrote:

> Kei Cheung wrote:
>>
>> Hi Eric et al,
>>
>> I'm glad that umls, topic map, ... were mentioned. We have to do more
>> than literal translation or linguistics. It's semantics!
>>
>> Traditional Chinese medicine embodies rich dialectical thought, such
>> as that of the holistic connections and the unity of yin and yang. It
>> deals with many facets of human anatomy and physiology: 臟腑 zang-fu
>> (organs), 穴 meridians (main and collateral channels), 氣 qi (vital
>> energy), 血 blood, *靜 *jing (essence of life), body fluid, the inside
>> and outside of the body, as well as the connections between the whole
>> and the parts.
>>
>> I wonder if there is a Chinese counterpart of umls that have semantic
>> correspondence to the English umls. Topic map is also interesting. I
>> also wonder if there is a direct mapping between topic map and
>> semantic web (rdf/owl) ....
> Yes, I can understand this.  But Chinese medicine is built upon a
> complete different conceptual framework.  Of course, there is a need to
> connect Chinese medicine with Western medicine. But I don't think this a
> cross-language issue.  I am from China and I know merging the two
> theories isn't an easy problem - if any possible.
>
> Xiaoshu

I would love to engage people, perhaps elsewhere besides this list, in a
thoughtful dialogue about ways in which the federation of Chinese and
Western medicine might be crafted. Optimist that I am, I believe there
is a way; passionate about finding solutions to complex medical issues
as I am, I'm willing to toss a lot of thinking and doing at this
opportunity. We really do have a lot to learn; a short story: one of my
personal physicians told me he had several patients for whom Western
medicine was failing. He took the UCLA acupuncture course and succeeded
in helping a majority of those patients.

Thanks
Jack

<snip>