Re: Cross Language with topic maps [was Re: 答复: KB note]

Kei Cheung wrote:

> Hi Eric et al,
>
> I'm glad that umls, topic map, ... were mentioned. We have to do more
> than literal translation or linguistics. It's semantics!
>
> Traditional Chinese medicine embodies rich dialectical thought, such
> as that of the holistic connections and the unity of yin and yang. It
> deals with many facets of human anatomy and physiology: 臟腑 zang-fu
> (organs), 穴 meridians (main and collateral channels), 氣 qi (vital
> energy), 血 blood, *靜 *jing (essence of life), body fluid, the inside
> and outside of the body, as well as the connections between the whole
> and the parts.
>
> I wonder if there is a Chinese counterpart of umls that have semantic
> correspondence to the English umls. Topic map is also interesting. I
> also wonder if there is a direct mapping between topic map and
> semantic web (rdf/owl) ....
Yes, I can understand this.  But Chinese medicine is built upon a
complete different conceptual framework.  Of course, there is a need to
connect Chinese medicine with Western medicine. But I don't think this a
cross-language issue.  I am from China and I know merging the two
theories isn't an easy problem - if any possible.

Xiaoshu