Re: BioRDF Announcement

On 7/17/08 4:22 PM, "eric neumann" <ekneumann@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I had mentioned before, having all of NLM's MeSH and much of UMLS available
> as RDF/SKOS/OWL for researchers would be very well received by the growing SW
> community. I'd like to add this to the list of BioRDF activities going
> forwards.

Eric.

By UMLS, I'm assuming you mean the semantic network? Some time ago, I wrote
a translation of the UMLS semantic network into an OWL document that I would
be willing to contribute to the community, however, I wonder if there are
licensing restrictions with NLM's MeSH and UMLS Semantic Network that would
prevent the publication of a 'linkable' OWL ontology?

In generally, I'm asking because I had done something similar with SNOMED-CT
and discovered (unless my understanding of the license is mistaken) that
licensing restrictions of its kind essentially eliminates the possibility of
SNOMED-CT hosted as 'open' linked data unless the hosting is done by the
International Health Terminology Standards Development Organisation
(IHTSDO).

I wonder, how much of an impediment this is to the-reuse of current
terminology standards such as these in SW representational formats?

-- Chimezie

in America by U.S. News & World Report (2007).
locations.