Re: [BIONT-DSE] Inclusion versus exclusion criteria

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 16:44 +0100, Bijan Parsia wrote:
> I trimmed the ccs since I get scared if I have to scroll a cc list.

Thanks, I have a bad habit of not doing that :)

> Eh. Not really. First of all, "domain of discourse" has a couple of
> specific technical meanings so we should be a bit wary about it.

What I meant by "domain of discourse" was essentially the subject domain
of the assertions (in this case: assertions made as a result of the
patient care process)

> >   Those two papers address a different (non-trivial)
> > question: whether the semantic web stack is best built on top of
> > Description Logic or Logic Programming

> DLP isn't a mapping. For mapping from, e.g.,

I don't follow how DLP is not a mapping (unless you are specifically
referring to the 'concerns' mentioned above about if it is indeed lossy
i.e., 1-1).  It is defined as a function whose input are DL expressions
(an expressive subset: DHL) and the output is "equivalent" Horn Logic.

> LP to FOL, look at
> things like clark's completion.

DHL is in the other direction, no?

> This cannot be done in the most
> general settings since it would require second order features. But,
> e.g., with nominals, you can restrict the models of an OWL KB in a
> number of ways. One obvious thing you can do is domain closure, i.e.,:
>
> 	owl:Thing subClassOf {A, B, C}
>
> where A B and C are individuals and {} is the "oneOf" operator.
>
> Note that DLP-LP and DLP-FOL do coincide for certain classes of
> answer for certain classes of query (since their ground entailments
> coincide).

Yes, this is clearly stated in the DLP paper and it is *this*
intersection that is of primary interest because the LP evaluation
complexity is significantly less (at least that is my understanding).

> This has gotten a bit too deeply technical perhaps.

Yes, I would agree.  However, I think further research into this
intersection is a very important contribution towards reducing the
(currently) intractable nature of inference over large ontologies
(especially EL++ ontologies which are very common in this domain:
SNOMED-CT, GALEN, FMA, etc..)

> From a language/
> infrastructure design perspective, it seems clear that having some
> sorts of non-monotonic features are quite useful in a number of
> circumstances.

Absolutely, this was really the main point I was trying to make.  It
just didn't seem right to suggest a framework that excludes certain
non-monotonic features that make perfect sense for the very controlled /
focused nature of clinical & biomedical research.

--
Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst

in America by U.S. News & World Report (2007).
locations.