W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org > October 2007

RE: BioRDF Telcon

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:12:13 +0000
To: "public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Message-ID: <184112FE564ADF4F8F9C3FA01AE50009D36A80290E@G1W0486.americas.hpqcorp.net>

Minutes from today's telecon are at:
http://www.w3.org/2007/10/22-BioRDF-minutes.html
and also below in plain text.


David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.

 ------------------------------------------

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                                BioRDF

22 Oct 2007

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_BioRDF_Subgroup/Meetings/2007-10-22_Conference_Call

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2007/10/22-BioRDF-irc

Attendees

   Present
          DBooth, Olivier_Bodenreider, Don_Doherty, EricP, Kei_Cheung,
          matthias, Eric_Neumann, Jonathan_Rees, Susie, Alan_Ruttenberg

   Regrets
   Chair
          Susie

   Scribe
          DBooth

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]SfN Poster Update - Don
         2. [6]Meeting Updates (F2F, ISWC BOF, WWW, Bio-IT World) -
            Susie
         3. [7]Next Meeting
     * [8]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________



   <Don> New draft of SfN poster:

   <Don> [9]http://www.brainstage.com/poster_draft.png

      [9] http://www.brainstage.com/poster_draft.png

   <matthiassamwald> holger stenzhorn (currently at DERI) will also be
   joining the call soon.

   <ericP-test> webirc working for ericP

   <scribe> Scribe: DBooth

   <Don> [10]http://www.brainstage.com/poster_draft.png

     [10] http://www.brainstage.com/poster_draft.png

   Scribe next week: Kei

SfN Poster Update - Don

   <ericP> [11]SfN Poster

     [11] http://www.brainstage.com/poster_draft.png

   Don discusses poster image

   EricP: Picture is in the blue box? Don: yes.

   Matthias: May it should be a little bit simplified for the audience.
   We want to reach out to the neuroscientists -- not only hard core
   bioinformatics people. Not sure what should be changed. maybe take
   out one query and rely on the graphics? What does .ttl? EricP:
   Turtle extension

   <ericP> i recommend s/Medline TTL/Medline RDF/ if i understand what
   it means

   Don: I agree with you, but after going through it I couldn't really
   tell a long story about solving a problem yet, though we come up
   with the results of the query. My thinking was that most aren't
   going to understand SemWeb. It's a way to shed some light on
   what/why we're doing. If they step through this they'll see it isn't
   just magic.

   DBooth: Key value add is joining multiple dataset? Don: Yes DBooth:
   i think that shoudl be more evident. Perhaps in the title.

   Don: Cannot change the title.

   DBooth: But you could add a subtitle: 'Combining PubMed, Medline,
   etc'

   Don: I'll think about how to do that.

   <Zakim> ericP, you wanted to ask about graph in blue box and to
   suggest graph shapes next to each query

   EricP: Echo Matthias's point, blue box is Medline TTL?

   Don: I guess we don't need to talk about that at all.

   EricP: Then call it "Medline RDF" instead.

   <eneumann> Don, I can't seem to find any URL on the poster--
   shouldn't there be one for these wishing to find out more?

   Don: You're right.

   EricP: Echoing DBooth, "Queries over 12 distinct databases" might be
   good.
   ... In the big blue box you have a graph with shadings. What does
   the bullseye signify?

   Don: Just to be easier to see. (Distance from the mesh term.)

   EricN: Outside piece tends to refer to the gene, then moves to the
   articles. That might be good to illustrate.

   Don: If you look at the 3 green lines of matches, it's looking at
   the query of what it would match.

   Susie: Could you add a key?

   EricP: inner arc is unlabeled. Maybe no space, but would be nice.
   ... Perhaps label concentric circles by type.
   ... And is this graph answering all the queries at left?
   ... Then if you can miniaturize the picture and show only the
   portion of thhe graph that is touched by it.

   Don: You're right, that would be good.

   Susie: It doesn't seem like all of the references are complete. No
   parens around "21". And Elizabeth and Alan don't have affiliations.
   ... Talking about updating the exhibit screen snapshot, how are you
   coming on getting a new figure?

   Don: Not yet.

   Susie: In the figure at the right you refer to properties, but in
   the table at the bottom you refer to predicates. Consistency would
   help. It would be nice to make clear to folks that the knowledge
   base is available for people to play with. I'll add a link.

   EricP: You could use tinyurl for a couple of queries.

   Susie: Deadline?

   Don: We should be happy with the poster by a week from today, but a
   week from Friday would be last possible changes.

Meeting Updates (F2F, ISWC BOF, WWW, Bio-IT World) - Susie

   Susie: Registration deadline is past. Agenda is on the wiki -- I
   believe final version.

   Alan: What about having Chimezie do a presentation on his work? It
   would serve a number of purposes.

   Susie: I didn't feel that we should, because the agenda has been
   fixed for a while and because others had requested and I said we
   didn't have time (Tim Clark and someone else).

   <ericP> [12]AGENDA FOR F2F

     [12] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/F2F/Agenda

   Alan: It's a little bit different for Chimezie because pieces of his
   work have shown up in our work product, and because there's interest
   in exactly what he's doing, so it speaks directly to the current
   content.

   Susie: He coudl talk informally without having a scheduled slot.

   EricP: Can you propose a schedule modification of what would be
   taken out?

   Alan: I'll look at that. Mostly want to address what's important for
   the mtg, and one element is that we have clinical people that we've
   brought in.

   <scribe> ACTION: AlanR to look at F2F schedule and propose schedule
   change [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2007/10/22-BioRDF-minutes.html#action01]

   EricP: Anybody have a problem with minor sched changes?

   <sstephen> [14]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPACguests/

     [14] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPACguests/

   Susie: Vipul said he's happy to keep the agenda the way it is, if
   there are people signed up to attend specific days. But if everyone
   signed up for both days, he'd prefer to do his Friday.

   Matthias: DERI wants to send someone but has not yet registered.

   <sstephen> Ronan Fox from DERI Galway would like to visit the HCLS
   F2F

   EricP: I'll check with admin to see if it is possible.

   <sstephen> Bron Kisler from CDISC would also like to participate int
   he F2F on Friday

   <scribe> ACTION: EricP to check with admin to see if it is possible
   for Ronan Fox DERI rep to attend both days and Bron Kisler for
   Friday [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2007/10/22-BioRDF-minutes.html#action02]

   EricP: I see one person from Charles Hand, Bristol-Myers-Squib for
   Thursday only.

   Susie: Do you think Bron will really attend, since he didn't?

   AlanR: Yes.

   EricP: About 7 signed up for guest registration.

   Susie: I'm inclined to think we should keep the agenda as is.

   AlanR: should we move some part of the KB presentation to the day
   before?
   ... I'll look at moving the times to accommodate Chimezie.

   EricP: Anyone mind if Susie makes a minor change for that?

   Susie: Given that we've turned down others, might be best if he
   presents in the context of the Next Steps round table.

   EricN: I think we should put him in front center of the round table.
   We have a lot of speakers in the COI, since in that domain we really
   should listen to him. Could be as part of Clinical Observations.
   Would be a missed opportunity if he didn't present.

   AlanR: Maybe he can be added as a speaker on an existing topic. I
   agree with the general sentiment of not disrupting or offending.

   Susie: I agree with the importance of what Chimezie's topic. Just
   need to be sensitive. Do we want to have the TAG discussion during
   beer on Thursday?
   ... I would think it would make sense for them to join the
   discussion on URI Note.
   ... Should we invite them for that hour session?

   Jonathan: I think so. Part of it? Second half?

   AlanR: Better to schedule it separately. Better for HCLS to get info
   and feedback in an uncluttered way, whereas TAG will focus on
   specific TAG issues.

   Jonathan: Then when should we meet with them?

   DBooth: Check with TAG about when they could meet.

   Jonathan: Make ssnse for all of HCLS to meet with TAG?

   DBooth: No, it's very specialized.

   Jonathan: I'm afraid if I talk to them 1 on 1 I'll get different
   answers.

   EricP: I think I can represent the TAG's view if I meet with them.

   Jonathan: I get a lot of talking with TAG members. There's a huge
   potential in discussing our use case.
   ... What is the SemWeb roadmap and how can we make the HCLS meet it?

   EricP: So a small group of us to meet with the TAG would be
   sufficient?

   (Others agree)

   <scribe> ACTION: EricP (with Jonathan) to schedule mtg with TAG
   [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2007/10/22-BioRDF-minutes.html#action03]

   DBooth would like to be a part of that, BTW.

   EricP: About 15 people registered from the WG, then another 10
   invited as chairs, etc. and then about 5 guests.

   Jonathan: Should we go through the list of member orgs and encourage
   them to come?

   EricP: May be too late for this meeting, but yes.

   Susie: ADJOURNED

Next Meeting

   EricP said he will help Kei get IRC going, and Kei will scribe next
   time.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: AlanR to look at F2F schedule and propose schedule
   change [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2007/10/22-BioRDF-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: EricP (with Jonathan) to schedule mtg with TAG
   [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2007/10/22-BioRDF-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: EricP to check with admin to see if it is possible for
   Ronan Fox DERI rep to attend both days and Bron Kisler for Friday
   [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2007/10/22-BioRDF-minutes.html#action02]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [20]scribe.perl version 1.128
    ([21]CVS log)
    $Date: 2007/10/22 16:07:50 $
     _________________________________________________________

     [20] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [21] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

   [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.128  of Date: 2007/02/23 21:38:13
Check for newer version at [22]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002
/scribe/

     [22] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Bristol/Charles Hand, Bristol/
Succeeded: s/yest/yes/
Succeeded: s/EricN/Jonathan/
Succeeded: i/Chair:/Agenda: [23]http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_BioRDF_S
ubgroup/Meetings/2007-10-22_Conference_Call
Found Scribe: DBooth
Inferring ScribeNick: dbooth
Default Present: DBooth, Olivier_Bodenreider, Don_Doherty, EricP, Kei_C
heung, matthias, Eric_Neumann, Jonathan_Rees, Susie, Alan_Ruttenberg

     [23] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_BioRDF_Subgroup/Meetings/2007-10-22_Conference_Call

WARNING: Replacing previous Present list. (Old list: Alan_Ruttenberg, D
on_Doherty, Eric_Neumann, Eric_P, Jonathan_Rees, Kei_Cheung, Olivier_Bo
denreider, Susie_Stephens, DBooth)
Use 'Present+ ... ' if you meant to add people without replacing the li
st,
such as: <dbooth> Present+ DBooth, Olivier_Bodenreider, Don_Doherty, Er
icP, Kei_Cheung, matthias, Eric_Neumann, Jonathan_Rees, Susie, Alan_Rut
tenberg

Present: DBooth Olivier_Bodenreider Don_Doherty EricP Kei_Cheung matthi
as Eric_Neumann Jonathan_Rees Susie Alan_Ruttenberg
Agenda: [24]http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_BioRDF_Subgroup/Meetings/200
7-10-22_Conference_Call
Got date from IRC log name: 22 Oct 2007
Guessing minutes URL: [25]http://www.w3.org/2007/10/22-BioRDF-minutes.h
tml
People with action items: alanr ericp jonathan with

     [24] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_BioRDF_Subgroup/Meetings/2007-10-22_Conference_Call
     [25] http://www.w3.org/2007/10/22-BioRDF-minutes.html

   End of [26]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

     [26] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
Received on Monday, 22 October 2007 16:13:04 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 18:00:50 GMT