RE: BioRDF Telcon

From: Susie M Stephens <STEPHENS_SUSIE_M@LILLY.COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:59:10 -0400
To: "Eric Neumann" <eneumann@teranode.com>
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

Hi Eric,

There should be time for one more agenda item this week. :-)

Cheers,

Susie

             "Eric Neumann"
             <eneumann@teranod
             e.com>                                                     To
                                       "Susie M Stephens"
             10/22/2007 08:56          <STEPHENS_SUSIE_M@LILLY.COM>,
             AM                        public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: BioRDF Telcon

Susie,

I'd like to add one more item to the BioRDF agenda, and if it doesn't make
it for today let's put it on for the next week...

In looking over past minutes I have not found any discussions that relates
to how people using databases for proteins and the like are to map the
"instances" in these records to the use of class restrictions (human
hemoglobin as a restricted protein class) as has been promoted by some HCLS
members.

This is a practical issues for many, since most of our molecular definition
data resides as data instances in databases, though the semantics can often
be quite thin. In moving these towards the Semantic Web, I believe there is
a need to go beyond "just wrapping" the DBs, but not necessarily "moving"
the information to any new (SW) store.

In discussions with Natasha Noy (Stanford) there seems to be some useful
principles that could be applied, and I'd like to see what thoughts the
group may have on these issues and approaches.

best,
Eric