Re: [semweb-lifesci]

That is one way.

But does compliance with that standard mean you cannot also follow the
defacto standard with respect to modifying the subject. W3C lists are
the only ones which I am on that do things differently in this
respect. I have not checked, but they are possibly the only ones who
have implemented List-id headers as well.

Personally I don't use filters... Threaded (Gmail) mailing list
conversations are much easier to track, and I cannot even remember the
last time I used a non-web-mail mailing client. Considering that no
web mail client to my knowledge has the ability to filter based on
custom headers, this leaves all of the web mail clients in the dark,
not by choice, but because they were pushed by a standard W3C policy.

The only reasonable argument on the page relates to off-list replies,
but even that can be quickly identified by checking who sent it. List
based emails should automatically "reply-to" the list, not that this
is the way W3C does it anyway, and if they don't, you are replying
off-list effectively anyway.

The argument about precious space in subject lines has never been a
problem for me. It is a visual cue to what the message is about each
time that I skim over. All skimming of course without a worry about 16
extra characters on my modern high-resolution screen. Currently I scan
my messages in my inbox for those without a subject list tag and
recognise them as W3C messages. Thats a bit lame that I have come to
use that method :)...

BTW, references on that policy to every non-list-id-compliant mail
client being out-of-date or broken is a little extreme. If google or
yahoo get enough requests relating to a range of different mailing
list providers who use list-id as their sole mechanism they may just
follow the W3C lead, but until then it is a bit of an annoyance.

Peter