Re: [semweb-lifesci]

>At 05:53 PM 11/12/2007 +0100, Wacek Kusnierczyk wrote:
>
>>To the maintainers of this list:  consider configuring the list so
>>that messages sent to it have a prefix like [semweb-lifesci]
>>automatically added to the subject line, as it is often the
>>practice with other lists.  It helps filtering, sorting, and
>>maintaining the inbox.
>
>Our Systems Team has fielded this request many times.

Its about time it bloody well listened, then.

>Please see "Subject tagging for W3C lists" [1].
>
>    [1] http://www.w3.org/Mail/subject-tagging
>
>Note, in particular,
>
>    "All messages distributed by our mailing lists are sent with a
>    List-Id header identifying the list, e.g. for www-html:

>    This is the standard way to identify a mailing list, per RFC 2919."

RFC 2919 does not help me sort my email, whereas the requested
subject-line prefix does. (I use Eudora, which is very old software
but still way better than anything else on offer.) Nobody is asking
W3C to not be conformant, but to refuse to be cooperative as well as
conformant is just being arrogant. RFC 2919 does not prohibit or
deprecate the suggested usage.

By the way, the tone of the document [1] is extremely annoying. If
the W3C were a company taking this attitude, it would have lost its
customer base years ago. Of course, the W3C isn't a company: but
y'all might give some thought to the fact the great bulk of the W3C's
work is done by volunteers, who are the people getting screwed over
by the Systems Team's almost palpable arrogance.

Pat

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell