Re: [hcls] Harmonization of labels, descriptions and definitions

On May 25, 2007, at 8:44 AM, samwald@gmx.at wrote:

>> [2] For instance, definitions in the PATO OWL file (quality.owl) are
>> not visible in Protege.  The OWL version of PATO has an
>> AnnotationProperty called "oboInOwl:hasDefintion" that has the value
>> "@_:A4843".
>
> I and some other people have already nagged Chris about the
> representation of defintions and synonyms in the OWL versions of
> OBO ontologies.
> This is partly related to a larger problem, namely the
> inhomogeneous representation of labels, descriptions and
> definitions among biomedical Semantic Web ontologies. I have
> started a Wiki page on this topic:
>
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/Labels_and_Definitions
>
> The page is intended to contain the following (please add to it /
> discuss!):
>
> * Examples from biomedical ontologies of non-standard constructs to
> represent Labels, names, descriptions and definitions of entities.
>
> * An analysis of the motivations behind the creation of these
> constructs
>
> *A description of the problems that arise through a lack of
> harmonization (e.g. for queries and user interfaces)
>
> * A review of the basic constructs in the RDF, RDFS and OWL
> vocabularies and their intended usage for labels, descriptions and
> definitions
>
> * An informal recommendation for the representation of labels,
> descriptions and definitions and suggestions for the harmonization
> of biomedical ontologies in this regard.

I have some *experimental* code that does a reasonable job of
harmonizing the following 3 styles of annotationprops: bfo, birn and
nci. see

http://www.berkeleybop.org/obo-conv.cgi

it is primarily for owl<->obo -
to harmonize from owl to owl you'd have to do a double transform  -
and it would all be harmonized to the oboinowl style - but this could
potentially be modified if there was interest