From: public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Kei Cheung
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:58 AM
To: donald.doherty@brainstage.com
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Subject: Re: Mapping NeuronDB to MeSH to BAMS

Hi Don,

Thanks a lot for your effort in establishing mappings between Senselab
brain regions/cell names and BAMS brain brain regions/cell names. Such
mappings are not a trivial task as they require a significant amount of
domain knowledge (even neursocientists sometimes have difficult times in
mapping terms between different data sources). While some of the
mappings are one-to-one, others are one-to-many (e.g., CA1 pyramidal
neuron and CA3 pyramidal neuron in SenseLab are mapped to Pyramidal
Cells in MeSH). From the semantic web perspective, I think it would be
interesting to see how to use things like OWL constructs to establish
such mappings (both one-to-one and one-to-many) to facilitate data
integration.

Cheers,

-Kei