Re: RE: RE: [hcls] A map of the Semantic Web for life science and health care

From: <samwald@gmx.at>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 21:16:58 +0200
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
To: "Eric Neumann" <eneumann@teranode.com>, VKASHYAP1@PARTNERS.ORG

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the feedback.

> I see several maps from your description

I would like to integrate the kinds of information you mentioned into a single map. Through the way we are using OWL at the moment, the distinctions between 'ontology' and 'data' are blurring, and I made the conscious choice to represent both along each other as simple 'information'. And of course, the areas are distinguished by a rather fuzzy notion of 'context'. Of course, 'cells' is a wholly other category as 'experiments', but I think people will understand what is meant.

> 1. Basic life science concepts ( Uber Semantics? why not define with OBO?)

What do you mean by 'define with OBO'? At the moment, I included the OBO Foundry ontologies, by the way.

> Calling it "Mapping the Semantic Web for life science and health care" is
> very confusing to me.

It is a map of RDF/OWL resources created for the Semantic Web and their mutual connections, positioned according to their respective contexts in biomedical research and health care. What is the reason for the confusion?

> Also, I think we should  get in the habit of saying "Proposed..." on some
> of these wiki pages ;

Of course, everything I wrote is open for discussion. We want to have a first version ready for the ontology-SIG meeting in Vienna, so for now would be good to focus the discussion on how the map should look like with the given style and way of presentation I have proposed. This will take long enough in itself. If we want to create additional 'maps', we can of course start to create these, too.

cheers,
Matthias Samwald

Yale Center for Medical Informatics, New Haven /
Section on Medical Expert and Knowledge-Based Systems, Vienna /
http://neuroscientific.net

.