Re: Notes from Banff f2f

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:39:57 +0200
To: "Eric Neumann" <eneumann@teranode.com>
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

On 21/06/07, Eric Neumann <eneumann@teranode.com> wrote:

> I've collected the notes from teh Banff f2f discussion and placed the at
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/Banff2007/Informal_F2F

Thanks. Reminds me, a reference I should pass on. At the f2f Alan
mentioned a particular modeling problem - I forget what (sorry, maybe
you will recognise) - it involved needing to distinguish between
classes/individuals on a lot of different levels.

Structurally it reminded me very much of FRBR (Functional Requirements
for Bibliographic Records) [1]. The terms in the RDF version [2] make
a good summary. It allows you to talk about e.g. a book "Harry Potter
and the Alarming Rash" the conceptual entity, as well as the editions
in hardback, paperback etc, as well as this_specific_copy of "Harry
Potter and the Alarming Rash" with a coffee stain on page 27.

While FRBR itself is pretty much biblio-specific, the general pattern
looks like it could well be reusable in other domains.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://www.oclc.org/research/projects/frbr/
[2] http://vocab.org/frbr/core