RE: Notes from Banff f2f

Danny, I think you're referring to when Alan was describing the HCLS demo effort: http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/Banff2007Demo

>From what you describe, it does appear to have some bearing on the issues surrounding bio-entities (classes as well as instances however defined), data records of bio-entities, and individual findings referenced in a paper (work).

I guess what I'd still like need to see is howthe concepts from our HCLS use-cases would explicitly map to these OCLC concepts...

- the work, a distinct intellectual or artistic creation
- the expression, the intellectual or artistic realization of a work
- the manifestation, the physical embodiment of an expression of a work
- the item, a single exemplar of a manifestation.

any takers?

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Danny Ayers [mailto:danny.ayers@gmail.com]
Sent: Thu 6/21/2007 11:39 AM
To: Eric Neumann
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Subject: Re: Notes from Banff f2f

On 21/06/07, Eric Neumann <eneumann@teranode.com> wrote:

> I've collected the notes from teh Banff f2f discussion and placed the at
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/Banff2007/Informal_F2F

Thanks. Reminds me, a reference I should pass on. At the f2f Alan
mentioned a particular modeling problem - I forget what (sorry, maybe
you will recognise) - it involved needing to distinguish between
classes/individuals on a lot of different levels.

Structurally it reminded me very much of FRBR (Functional Requirements
for Bibliographic Records) [1]. The terms in the RDF version [2] make
a good summary. It allows you to talk about e.g. a book "Harry Potter
and the Alarming Rash" the conceptual entity, as well as the editions
in hardback, paperback etc, as well as this_specific_copy of "Harry
Potter and the Alarming Rash" with a coffee stain on page 27.

While FRBR itself is pretty much biblio-specific, the general pattern
looks like it could well be reusable in other domains.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://www.oclc.org/research/projects/frbr/
[2] http://vocab.org/frbr/core