Re: Evidence

From: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@idi.ntnu.no>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:38:54 +0200
To: samwald@gmx.at
CC: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org, Barry Smith <phismith@buffalo.edu>

samwald@gmx.at wrote:

> * In the view of BFO-friendly ontologies, there exists no thing that IS evidence. Instead, evidence is a ROLE that can be plaid by things in a certain context.

Mathias, if you look carefully at BFO, you'll see that roles are
entities.  This means that evidences, as roles, are entities.

If an x is a piece of evidence, it plays, as you say, the role of
evidence;  this means, in BFO's view, that there is an instance of
evidence role that inheres in x.  In other words, if x plays the role of
evidence, this implies the existence of two entities -- x and its
evidence role.

If you do not like this view, do not complain to me;  I merely make you
aware of this.

You could reject this view and say that there are no role-instances;
but then BFO would imply a number of non-instantiable universals, while
one of the principles underlying BFO is the Aristotelian view that
universals exist exclusively within their instances -- such universals
would not exist at all, there would be no roles, nothing to be played.
Alternatively, you could say that there is no separate role-instance
entity, and it is x that instantiates the evidence-universal, but this
would clearly contradict your original statement.

cc: to Barry, for corrections if needed.

vQ