Re: Rules (was Re: Ambiguous names. was: Re: URL +1, LSID -1)

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> In that case, I would recommend  that it is unwise to use Uniprot ids as
> identifiers of protein classes on the semantic web. Doing so would
> encourage exactly the kind of ambiguity that we need to avoid in order
> to write statements that will not confuse semantic web agents (including
> people).

The question you need to ask yourself here is whether there really are such
things as specific proteins, or if this is always just a useful abstraction
(and often a fuzzy one at that, if it wants to make sense for biologists).

UniProt has a different idea on what exactly the protein-related entities
are than e.g. EMBL_CDS, and others have different ideas, too. Even if you
came up with your own protein database that is more suitable for Semantic
Web applications because it has better explicit definitions than UniProt
manages to have at the moment, I could argue that what you have in the end
are nothing but "records, too...