Re: Immunity of SW statements to changes in location - data integration use case

Eric Jain wrote:
> Khalid Belhajjame wrote:
>> I am not sure whether the following issue has already been discussed.
>> By using the identifiers to also locate where the RDFs statements
>> describing
>> the resource in question are, don’t we somehow dictate where the
>> document(s)
>> containing the RDFs statements describing a given resource are to be
>> located?
>
> Not dictating anything, just providing some useful default behavior. If
> you prefer to resolve http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345 to let's
> say http://www.ebi.uniprot.org/entry/P12345, you can do so in your
> application.

 From the recent threads, I get the impression that we are trying to do
combine two functions into the URI:

1) the unambiguous *identification* of a given concept in our own RDF
2) retrieve associated data records from the same URI

Although 2) seems like a nice convenience feature, we have the problem
of ambiguity that Alan pointed out: It should be possible to distinguish
statements about a particular data record associated with a concept from
statements about the concept.

See, for example, http://beta.uniprot.org/uniprot/?query=p53&sort=score
. "Which data record for P53 did you mean?"

-scott

--
M. Scott Marshall
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~marshall