Re: URL +1, LSID -1

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:13:48 -0700, Michel_Dumontier wrote:
> What if I
> have a semantic web application in which I would like to retrieve more
> information about this resource? Since the document is not an RDF
> document with machine understandable statements about it, it seems that
> my application wouldn't be able to learn anything more about
> http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345

http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345 is linked to a machine-readable
representation [http://beta.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345.rdf] via two
mechanisms: 1. there is a link-rel=alternate in the header of the web page,
and 2. you can set an Accept header if you want to skip directly to that.

The main reason why I don't default to the machine-readable representation
(no doubt that would be useful for people writing semweb applications) is
that the large majority of resources does not have a machine readable
representation, and web pages happen to be the greatest common denominator.