Re: Race/Ethnicity population descriptors

Hi,

Another source you might want to look into is ALFRED (Allele Frequency Database):

http://alfred.med.yale.edu/alfred/entity.asp?condition=populations

On the page, you can also click on the "ALFRED Georgraphic Regions Map" link to see how the regions are divided on the world map. Northern Africa, which is not defined in dbSNP, is a specific example since the individuals belonging to this population are mostly more recent migrants from the middle East and reflect "out of Africa" gene frequencies.

Sometimes it's not a trivial issue to establish mapping between populations across different databases. This might also be an interesting use case for HCLS in the context of SNP's.

Best,

-Kei