Re: Race/Ethnicity population descriptors

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Nigam Shah wrote:

> I am trying to find a comprehensive terminology/term-list for
> race/ethnicity and population descriptions. For example, dbSNP has a
> "population type" which is different from what Hapmap uses. I am
> looking for something beyond the usual, white/african/pacific islander
> etc that come on govt forms. (a terminology that would have Ashkenazi
> Jews for example).

We were faced with a similar question and I had suggested HL7 RIM's
raceCode and ethnicGroupCode at the time:

http://www.hl7.org/library/data-model/RIM/C30202/Race.htm#C-0-D14914-cpt
http://www.hl7.org/library/data-model/RIM/C30202/Ethnicity.htm#C-0-D15836-cpt

Neither includes Ashkenazi Jews, but it is a start, anyways.

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Cleveland Clinic Foundation