Re: OWL vs RDF

From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:54:12 +0100
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

  Robert> There's another answer of using the reasoner by building
  Robert> your ontology to take advantage of its capabilities. the
  Robert> conceptual lego approach relies on the reasoner.

Incidentally, Robert's point reminded me of another thing you can do
without a reasoner.

You can use your reasoner to build your ontology, and then deploy it
without. One of the main reasons that people don't like DL reasoners s
the overhead that they add to architectures. I think that this is a
reasonable point but, in general, only at deployment time. When
building your ontology, it's not that much hassle to have a
reasoner -- my experience suggests it saves your more time than it
costs you.