Re: NIH Request for Information (RFI): To Solicit Input and Ideas for Roadmap Trans-NIH Strategic Initiatives

We'll discuss this at the workshop-- perhaps we can have a rough draft written by then...

Eric

On Nov 2, 2006, at 4:35 PM, Donald Doherty wrote:

		Eric,

	That's a great idea. However, I wonder if we can make the November 17th date?

	Don

	-----Original Message-----
	From: public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org [mailto:public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Eric Neumann
	Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 8:23 AM
	To: W3C HCLSIG
	Subject: NIH Request for Information (RFI): To Solicit Input and Ideas for Roadmap Trans-NIH Strategic Initiatives

	http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-07-011.html <http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-07-011.html>

	I am posting this to the HCLS group, since we may want to consider being one of the responders to this RFI...

	[Excerpt]

	Request for Information

	This RFI invites input and ideas from the scientific community, health professionals, patient advocates, and the general public on ways to:

	·         address specific barriers to basic, translational, or clinical research through development of novel tools, technologies, services, etc.

	·         fill knowledge gaps that impede research across a broad spectrum of health science .

	We invite you to submit individual ideas and/or to view the ideas that have been submitted to date. All ideas should meet the following criteria for new trans-NIH strategic initiatives :

	Is the proposed initiative truly transforming -could it dramatically affect how biomedical and/or behavioral research is conducted over the next decade?

	Will the outcomes from the proposed initiatives synergistically promote and advance the individual missions of the Institutes and Centers to benefit health?

	Does the proposed initiative require participation from NIH as a whole and/or does it address an area (s) of science that does not clearly fall within the mission of any one IC or OD program office?

	Is the proposed initiative something that no other entity is likely or able to do, and is there a public health benefit to having the results of the research in the public domain ?

	In addition to these general criteria, selection of initiatives will be based on whether the proposed programs can either be achieved within a 5-10 year time frame or can be expected to become integrated with IC funded research within that time frame. The selection will also take into consideration current research funding, with the intent of stimulating research in new or fledgling research areas that also meet all of the criteria stated above. The ideas should not be disease specific and should not address problems or opportunities that fall under the purview of one NIH Institute or Center.

	Eric Neumann, PhD

	co-chair, W3C Healthcare and Life Sciences,

	and Senior Director Product Strategy

	Teranode Corporation

	411 1st Avenue South, Suite 700

	Seattle, WA 98104