RE: BioRDF [Telcon]: slides for the UMLS presentation

Hi Marco,

I'm hopeful of putting together a usecase for how the annotation of
MAGE-ML documents with ontology terms makes sense for the semantic
web--I usually end by saying that once the ontology information is
loaded into the local data store, knowledge based tools can be used on
them.

It looks like that's where you pick up the ball.  I'm hopeful that Bill
will help round out the use case but I believe your ideas will be
valuable also.

> - I think that converting the whole MAGE or FUGE into RDF is hard in
> practice and maybe not so useful. The problems are:

One other issue is that the actual objects in a microarray experiment
are for the most part one offs--i.e. a chip is a chip, it is only
hybridized once, the current investigation is only performed once with a
set of chips and so on.  Even the genes that are being investigated,
nothing new is being added to them except the interpretation of the data
from the investigation.

But as you say, it is, however, useful to annotate these one off objects
with where they fit into the larger world.

cheers,
Michael

Michael Miller
Lead Software Developer