Re: scientific publishing task force update

Those references would be really wonderful to have in hand.  Many
thanks, Bob.

Given the direction we are trying to go in on the BIRN project - very
extensive use of FuGO (http://fugo.sourceforge.net/) & PATO (http://
obo.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?attribute_and_value) - both of
which are to be included in the OBO Foundry (http://obofoundry.org/)
- for creating formal, computable descriptions of PRIMARY
experimental data, this project very much pricked up my ears when I
saw the post on Slashdot.  Given the critical role ontologies have
played in robotics over the last few decades, I'm not surprised
something like this should come from a researcher in that field,
especially one who works with the laboratory robotics vendors such as
TECAN and others.

By the way, I really liked your commentary in response to AJ's
request - and your work in this area - especially as relates to
knowledge extraction from figures/figure legends in STM
publications.  This work is extremely valuable, in my humble opinion
- work we should all get familiar with.

Having said that, I believe the proposal AJ has put out there on
behalf of the Sci Pub Task Force addresses a related yet distinct
aspect of formalizing descriptions of scientific results.  As the
Wiki page says at the outset, "(the objective is) to develop a
general purpose ontology for self-publishing (a) single experiment in
RDF format that will facilitate data sharing, discovery and
integration."

There is an effort within the community of researchers curating and
using biomedical ontologies to create formal descriptions of primary
research data to develop a deterministically precise and semantically
rich description of research data.  The idea - very much critical to
some of the objectives we have in the neuro-centric BIRN project - is
to use formal descriptions from elemental biomed. knowledge domains
(as opposed to complex, pre-coordinated descriptions that can't be
easily decomposed by humans or algorithms) in order to start building
a web of semantic information as closely tied to the primary data as
possible.  If one is to perform large-scale, data integration and
meta-analysis on data derived from disparate studies (as BLAST and
HMM gene finding algorithms can do with genomic sequence data), one
will often have to go right back to the primary data - and have
complete, formal descriptions of data acquisition provenance and all
the processing done on the data prior to any significant reduction/
analysis.  This is certainly true both for neuroimaging data sets
derived from all imaging modalities used in neuroscience, as well as
microarray data.  The level to which a system can be expected to re-
analyzed pooled results from separate studies will often depend on
the completeness and computability of this provenance and initial
process-related metadata.  In BIRN, we are thinking of adopted a
standard not unlike what the NCI caBIG project has developed for
certifying software - a compliance standard for formal descriptions
of primary data.  In other words, if you provide your data in this
form with this level of detailed quantitative and semantic
description you can expect your data will be utilized by laundry list
A of integration and pooled analysis tools.  If you only conform to
SOME of the requirements, your data will only be available to a
lesser list of more general meta-analysis tools and procedures.

When I say this "form", what we - in BIRN - are looking to work
toward as the "ideal" standard is to use FuGO-related ontologies for
the formal descriptions of devices, assays, reagents (and ultimately
environmental factors/subject history required to complete the
context for the experimental design/appropriate analysis).  We would
then use PATO to link these descriptions of primary data to the
ontological descriptions of phenotype they are intended to
represent.  For instance, we would take a formal description of data
collected using an assay for left-handedness (BIRN has many
behavioral & cognitive assays linked to functional brain imaging
experiments to contend with) and link that to a formal description of
the trait (handedness in primates) using PATO (Phenotype Attribute
and Trait Ontology).

How does this relate to KR and the expression of experimental data in
STM articles?

As I see it, we would hope publishers (and/or the relevant research
societies associated with various STM publications - and/or NCBI -
and the device & reagent vendors) will gradually develop tools to
make it TRIVIAL for researchers to represent primary data in this
form.  To my mind, the best alternative business model the commercial
publishers can propose in light of the Open Access debate would be to
focus on this critical technology development issue - one very much
related to their core business of publishing scientific info &
knowledge - would be for them to provide the very valuable service -
and work with group such as the W3C SW HCLSIG SciPub Task Force - to
establish relevant formats, standards, and KR resources.  Certainly,
the "open" STM publishers who have evolved in the last 5+ years -
Biomed Central & PLoS, in particular - have shown they recognize the
importance of this effort.  Taking this tack - focussing on providing
technological support difficult or prohibitively expensive for the
community of grant-supported researchers to build themselves, was
exactly the argument that got commercial publishers into the STM
business in a big way back in the late 50's, early 60's.  As has
happened about every 20 - 30 years since the late 1900's, the
quantity of published manuscripts was taking a qualitative leap
forward, and beginning to outstrip the capacity of the "old
fashioned" publishing technology in wide spread us by the vendors
serving the society-based publishers.  Certain commercial publishers
were beginning to computerize their operations providing efficiencies
and economies of scale that put them in the position to offer a good
deal to societies who were increasingly strapped for $$$ and having
to put severe limits on the number of manuscripts they publish.  This
is a condition that will be very familiar to anyone who's been
involved with STM publishing since the mid-90's (I guess we're
nearing another 20 - 30 year qualitative jump forward).  Anyway - I
don't see why they should drop the idiotic practice of tying their
revenue to frozen IP and go back to their original "value add"
proposition - better technology to provide for the evolving
publishing needs of the of the STM.

Enough of my screed on Open Access -

As I see it, the NLP approach and efforts such as are being proposed
here for more formally precise and complete descriptions of the
primary data itself can run in parallel - working the niche they are
most effective at handling but both ultimately converging on a much
more complete, formal, and machine pars-able representation of
research data (including the more reduced forms your work addresses
when working on the current representation of data in the STM
literature).

Cheers,
Bill