Re: [BioRDF] All about the LSID URI/URN

From: Benjamin H Szekely <bhszekel@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:01:51 -0400
To: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org, public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org
The LSID Java Toolkit supports both SOAP and HTTP.   The HTTP version is
very simple and does not use Axis.  I believe work is being done outside
of development team to implement a more lightweight, HTTP-only version of
the LSID Java stack.

- Ben

public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org wrote on 07/31/2006 11:36:58 AM:

> Carole Goble wrote:
> > However, we have problems with the implementation, specifically the
use
> > of SOAP within the resolution
> > system, because:
> > 1. its not needed conceptually
> > 2. its costly
> > 3. its overkill which affects performance
> > 4. the main implementation is Axis based - not suitable for phones,
pdas
> > and other thin clients
>
> I'd like to second that.
>
> It's great that someone has come up with a convention for putting a
> database name, identifier and version number into a URI (URL or URN
> wouldn't matter much, if there were a trivial way to convert between the

> two, as can be done with a DOI).
>
> But I'm less enthusiastic about the entire SOAP-based technology stack.
May
> be that I don't understand all the problems it was meant to address, but

> for us it's not only overkill, but also simply not practical.

Ben Szekely
IBM Software Engineer
Advanced Internet Technology, Cambridge, MA
bhszekel@us.ibm.com