Re: [BioRDF] All about the LSID URI/URN

Carole Goble wrote:
> However, we have problems with the implementation, specifically the use
> of SOAP within the resolution
> system, because:
> 1. its not needed conceptually
> 2. its costly
> 3. its overkill which affects performance
> 4. the main implementation is Axis based - not suitable for phones, pdas
> and other thin clients

I'd like to second that.

It's great that someone has come up with a convention for putting a
database name, identifier and version number into a URI (URL or URN
wouldn't matter much, if there were a trivial way to convert between the
two, as can be done with a DOI).

But I'm less enthusiastic about the entire SOAP-based technology stack. May
be that I don't understand all the problems it was meant to address, but
for us it's not only overkill, but also simply not practical.