Re: Success stories?

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:49:06 +0200
To: Joanne Luciano <jluciano@predmed.com>
Cc: W3C HCLSIG <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

Joanne Luciano wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Does anyone out there have (yet) a success story they can point me to
> or tell me about where there's been a "ROI" return using RDF/
> OWLSemantic Technologies have had a bit of a cult following in life
> sciences for a while, and one can find the occasional success story
> (like the ones that the folks from SemantxLS like to tell) about how
> semantic technologies have had genuine impact in some life sciences
> project.
>
> In the case of the W3C semantic web standards, we have seen demos  like
> BioDASH and <fill in the name of the thing you did with Oracle  and
> Siderean>, which show considerable promise and get the attention  of a
> lot of people in life sciences. But as far as I know, these are  still
> just in the demo stages; nobody has actually deployed these in  a
> meaningful way.
>
> Are there any actually deployed success stories of RDF or OWL?  What
> areas have turned out to be the most fruitful?
>
> Would it be useful to put a list of these on the wiki?

It would be VERY useful. From a W3C point of view, we are still in the
process of 'selling' the Semantic Web to outsiders. A good business
case, ie, a success story, is worth more than thousands of smart
technical words...

Ivan

> Joanne

C/o W3C Benelux Office at CWI, Kruislaan 413
1098SJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
tel: +31-20-5924163; mobile: +31-641044153;
FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf#Me