RE: how to deal with different requirements for experiment self-publishing

Hi All,

"On one end, some researchers want a quick and easy way to share an
experiment, e.g. simply decompose an experiment to hypothesis, data,
results, procedure, protocols used, who did it, what project it belongs
to, etc."

Even stronger, at a high level this is what a researcher wants to see
and can comprehend rapidly.  This is why in FuGE, this is what is
pre-eminent, and the tools in this domain typically allow visualization
of this level of detail.  The other thing to note is that an Experiment
is a series of events and products that will only occur once, that is,
the production of a sample from a cell line is unique, the hybridization
of a sample to a chip will be unique, the scan, they are all single
instances that will never occur again.

"On the other end of the spectrum, some researchers want to describe it
with domain-specific terms as detailed as possible, e.g using FuGO or
BioPAX terms.  In the middle of the spectrum,  one may want to describe
an experiment in general terms but with great details, e.g. using the
terms Bill Bug provided from BIRN."

But then as AJ says, the question becomes what is this experiment like,
who used similar tissue, what other experiment found a set of genes that
jumped out like in this experiment.  Different labs have a varying
number of resources to go further into this.  This is why in FuGE there
is no preconception of what annotation and how much will be used,
because, as AJ points out, there are varying views and abilities to do
the annotation.  If the annotation is available, it can be exported into
a FuGE document at what ever level is available.

We early on in MAGEv1 found ourselves trying to decide what
attributes/associations should a BioMaterial like a Cell Line have in
the UML model.  We quickly listed 50+, cut it back to 20, argued over
the ones left out, the ones left in, then punted by creating an
association to OntologyEntry called Characteristics.  In other words we
decided it would be better to let groups like this work out what and how
Characteristics could be annotated so that MAGE and now FuGE could
concentrate on allowing the sharing of experiments.

One of my interests in this list is to track annotation tools and
ontologies.  As they mature, if our users are interested, we will use
these tools and ontologies to enhance our product so that our users can
easily annotate their data.  This will then be reflected in our export
and available for others to import.  Then, I envision that semantic web
tools will be able to take this annotation (which I see separate and
independent of the semantic web tools but available to) and search for
interesting correlations.

my further 2c,
Michael