RE: [BioRDF] All about the LSID URI/URN

I cannot agree with Dan anymore.

URN is a mis-conceived concept.  The key to make a persistent URI is in the
effort of making it persistant rather than what its name implies.  Sure, URL
can change from time to time.  But who can ganrantee that a URN will not
change?

It is also wrong to think that a URL-resource can only be fected from the
given URL.  URL is at first a URI, i.e., a string identifier.  We certainly
can request a copy of the resource by giving the URI to, for example, a web
service.  The suggested location is the "prefered" location but not the
"only" location.

Before the TAG made the resolution on the httpRange-14 issue, I though LSID
spec does have a valid point in making the distinction between data and
metadata.  But after that httpRange-14 issue is solved, I am not sure why
the entire LSID spec can not be replaced with standard web services.

Given a resource URI (or URL if you insist), a reasonable senario is to
return back, after a 303, a brief RDF description of the requested resource
along with a list of web services where the resource or the description of
the resource can be fetched. With the current support on HTTP, it is a lot
cheaper, simpler, and perhaps securer than rolling out a whole set of new
specs and infrastructure.

In short, the myth of URN vs. URL is in our perception but not in actuality.
W3C's recommendation to use URI, as opposed to use URN and URL, to refer all
http, ftp, lsid, mailto, etc., is a good first step. As an identifier, there
is no difference between URN and URI. How to retrieve the resource is an
implementation but not a naming issue. And my bet, as Dan's, is on HTTP.
So, if need an identifier, allocate an HTTP namespace if you own a domain
name, or request one from, for instance http://www.purl.org/, or other
similar services.

Xiaoshu

Jun/0210.html