RE: Size estimates of current LS space (and Introductions)

From: Nigam Shah <nigam@stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:06:18 -0700
To: "'June Kinoshita'" <junekino@media.mit.edu>, "'Joanne Luciano'" <jluciano@predmed.com>
Cc: "'Jeremy Zucker'" <zucker@research.dfci.harvard.edu>, "'Skinner, Karen \(\(NIH/NIDA\)\) [E]'" <kskinner@nida.nih.gov>, "'Eric Neumann'" <eneumann@teranode.com>, "'public-semweb-lifesci hcls'" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

Hi June,

Thanks for the detailed response. One follow up comment (not for you)
below:

> Could the scientific community perform this
> vetting and editing function itself, a la wikipedia? We have
> found that in general, this does not work. Many scientists
> refuse to correct or criticize colleagues directly in a public
forum.

Could there be a mechanism in place that such contributions (taking
the time to politely edit, correct/modify content) would have some
brownie points with the establishment. I mean right now, what does a
person get for "selflessly" editing content?

May be its time citations mechanisms start factoring in "blogosphere
activity" ... Just a thought.

Regards,
Nigam.