Tools and Core Vocabulary

Hi, Robert

Two points I would like to make here:

Point 1: tools, I could not agree with you more.

I am a new "farmer" ploughing the fields - developing ontologies in
Healthcare, for semantic webized clinical pathways [1] or radiation
protection guidelines [2].  Ontologies will be produced at an increasingly
speed and volume, much the same way data being generated today. Although
you can preach to physicians "best practice" in developing ontologies, I
have no doubt that we will have to interact with ontologies as diversify
as the data we are facing today. As a ontology developer, I am eagerly
looking for tools to make my life easier.

In the Healthcare industry, physicians will ultimately be responsible for
generating medical knowledge content.  Unlike bioinformatics researchers,
the majority of the physicians in the hospital will have little time and
patience to generate a "well-designed" ontology.  They need tools that can
easily provide access and editing ability for them so they can semantic
webized the knowledge they have (for example guidelines and pathways),
while do not have to be a certified ontology developer, much the same way
information are input in web nowadays.

As for the integration of ontologies, I am expecting a similar battle as
we are facing today in the database world. Appropriate tools are very
important for the successful adoption of SW in Healthcare, I believe.  As
application developers, we now benefit greatly from application
development platforms that provide powerful tools and data access objects
that shield us from handling data directly.  My hope is that there will be
just as many tools at our disposal for semantic web application
development in the future.

Point 2: Core vocabulary and more community-consensus-based ontology
development.  This core vocabulary should be the intersection of
ontologies in HC-LS work. I hope via the work of this working group, we
will have a wider adoption of core vocabulary and make the connection of
ontologies easier. As a interest/working group, I would like to see some
discussion and actions on the development of the "core vocabulary" which
is outlined in the group's charter [3].   I am very much looking forward
to start the work with the rest of the group.

Kind regards.

Helen Chen, Agfa Healthcare
http://www.agfa.com/w3c/hchen

[1] Adaptable Clinical Pathway Ontology - XG group proposal
[2] RPGOntology - A Semantic Webized Knowledge Base for Radiation
Protection Guideline
[3] HCLSIG Charter

Robert Stevens <robert.stevens@manchester.ac.uk>
Sent by: public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org
10/12/2005 11:22 AM

<wangxiao@musc.edu>, <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Antwort: RE: Semantic web article in Nature Biotechnology

"> >>carefully; I think it is imperative for the computer
 > scientists among
 > >>us to also teach them the importance of designing their software
 > >>carefully."

This is not preaching; it is doing -- my main original point. I do,
however, return to the point that many of us in CS only get as far as
saying "it should be done properly" and little else. There are, of course,

many exceptions.

My point of substance was about modularisation. I hope that someone will
show me how to do it in OWL, after telling me what the behaviour of a
module is.

Tools; tools; tools.

robert.